Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Use Your Coconut

From Zico to O.N.E. to Vita Coco, coconut water brands have been popping up left and right. You'd think, being an islander-blooded health nut, I'd have a few cases of this sweet nutritious water stashed away at my place. But I don't. In fact, I've never even tried, or considered trying, coconut water sold by an American company. For me, coconut water is meant to be drunk from the coconut itself right after it's been picked off the tree. It also has to be a Philippine coconut. And not just any Philippine coconut. A coconut from my late grandfather's farm.

When I visit my mother's hometown in Zambales (a province in northwestern Philippines), every morning my grandpa would hack a few coconuts picked from his farm and drew its clear nectar into a big pitcher for the whole family to share over breakfast. Sometimes he'd open one especially for me, and stick a straw in it like they do in the movies. There is nothing like the taste of fresh buko (Tagalog for coconut) straight from the source.

All this to say... I'm picky about my coconuts.

In a series of weekly vlogs called "Thursday Latelies", Bex from BexADiary (she's cheery and totally fabulous) gushed about her new moisturizer: a jar of organic coconut oil. Didn't think much of it, other than remembering the huge jars of coconut oil my mother brought back whenever she visited the Philippines. I'm not even sure if we ever used them...

On a recent grocery run to Trader Joe's I spotted the miracle elixir on sale for $5.99. Organic and grown in the Philippines? Had to get it; couldn't leave the store without it. I'm not sure how much organic virgin coconut oil usually runs for, but I figured it's still cheaper than a bottle of my beloved Creme de Corps from Kiehl's. Plus, I could use it for more than just my skin. So I bought two--one for cooking, one for beauty.


I've had it for only a few days and I am completely obsessed. I use coconut oil as an overnight hair mask. I use it as makeup remover, and it's SO much better than what I was using before. I use it as moisturizer, face and body. I spread it over toast for breakfast. I'm planning to use it in several recipes. The list goes on.

The best part about it all is that coconut oil is super fatty, which means it tastes good, yet it does your body good. It's also vegan, which I'm not, but it's always good to consume ethically, right? Right. So grab yourself a jar of TJ's coconut oil and stay tuned for coconut oil recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment