Monday, April 30, 2012

Ramen Weekend

In a past lifetime I thought food was my enemy. In particular, I thought ramen was radioactive processed food that you eat only when you are in college or when you get too busy and careless to mind your diet. Now, it's one of my favorite things to eat. My fiance's version, of course.

The prep work for D's ramen is neither cheap nor easy. There is nothing processed about it when you take an entire weekend to prepare one simple dish. He's been perfecting his ramen for about two years now, and outdoing himself each time. At first bite, one word popped up into my head: euphoric. I seriously felt elevated after a bowl of this stuff.

The finished product. Umami overload!


It took at least fifteen tries to get the perfect meat/vegetable broth/dashi ratio.


The chef at his work station.


There was pork belly prepared two ways. Here it is all rolled up and ready for the oven...


...and here's the pork belly confit being seared. 


Probably my favorite part of the ramen.

Thanks to the bestie, Lauren, for documenting the entire process!

1 comment:

  1. This ramen is probably worth dying for. :D
    I've been having a ramen weekend too, albeit the 67c version. :-P

    ReplyDelete